Is this course for me?
Biology is an exciting and rapidly advancing science. Biologists are making an increasing contribution to ensuring the world becomes a healthier and safer place. Do you want to work at the cutting edge of Science? Biology could be for you. Entry to this course requires a minimum grade 6 at GCSE in Maths or higher grade passes.
The Structure of the two year course
First year of A Level
- Biological Molecules
- Organisms exchange substances with their environment
- Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms
Second year of A level
- Energy transfers in and between organisms
- Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments
- Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems
- The control of gene expression
Areas of Study
Biology, like all sciences, is a practical subject. Throughout the course you will carry out practical activities including:
- Using microscopes to see cell division
- Dissection of animal or plant systems
- Aseptic techniques to study microbial growth
- Investigating activity within cells
- Investigation of animal behaviours
- Investigating distributions of species in the environment
These practical activities will give you the skills and confidence needed to investigate the way living things behave and work. It will also ensure that you’ll have the skills needed to carry out successful experiments at degree level.
Studying Biology will provide you with an excellent opportunity to develop skills that will transfer to a wide range of university courses. You can go onto a science or medically related degree course, such as Biochemistry, Dentistry, Ecology, Marine Biology, Medicine, Neuroscience, Nursing, Optometry, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, Podiatry, Sports Science and Veterinary Science.
Exam Board: AQA