The St Mary's Way
The St Mary’s Way is based on the mission of the church and academy and is built around a way of living and working together as a community centred on Pope Francis' modern day beatitudes:
Respecting God is in everything we see
- We see the value of every member of our community.
- How we speak to others is a reflection of our care for them.
- We will leave no member of our community feeling alone or that they don’t belong.
- As people made in the image of God, we act with honesty and integrity.
- Each day represents a chance to grow in wisdom.
A Serving Community
- We look out for the needs of others
- Our behaviour should not harm the learning of others
- We try to empathise and understand those who may be struggling
- We see our role in the community as being there to help and encourage each other
A Community of Gratitude
- Staff and students thank each other at the end of each lesson
- We show appreciation for all that is done for us in the Academy, whoever has done it
- We recognise the expertise of those who work in the academy
- We recognise that education is a privilege not enjoyed by everyone around the world
- We appreciate the people we share this place with and from whom we can learn
A Community of Stewardship
- We look after the things we need to help us learn
- We regard all of the academy as ours to look after
- We cultivate our talents and use them for the good of ourselves and others
- We play all of our roles with our best efforts
- We respect the academy environment and enable it to be enjoyed by everyone
A Forgiving Community
- We avoid unnecessary conflict, often by talking it through
- We are not quick to take offence or to ‘hit back’
- We know the power of words to heal arguments and rebuild relationships
- We work hard to forgive each other and ourselves
A Prophetic Community
- We recognise the power of our words
- We speak the truth with compassion
- We ensure that everyone is treated fairly
- We keep a special eye out for those who may feel vulnerable