What Others Say
OFSTEDA short Ofsted Inspection of St Mary’s in March 2017 was extremely positive and confirmed that St Mary’s Catholic Academy continues to be good. A copy of the full inspector’s letter is available in the link on the menu on this page The following quotes are taken from the body of the inspector’s letter:
- The leadership team has maintained the good quality of education in the school since the inspection of your predecessor school.
- Pupils spoken to during the inspection showed great pride in their school and parents wholeheartedly appreciate the efforts made by staff.
- Comments from parents such as ‘The staff go above and beyond what is expected’ and ‘The staff clearly have the best interests of the children at heart’ were typical.
- Staff were equally positive; their comments portray a school where people are valued and supported. One member of staff put this very clearly: ‘Each and every pupil knows there are people in school who care deeply for them…who will go the extra mile for them…that is something of which I am incredibly proud.’
Diocesan Section 48 InspectionOur Diocesan Inspection Report in March 2017 graded us as “outstanding”. A copy of the full report is available on the via the link on the menu on this page. Some of the inspector’s findings were:
- This an outstanding Catholic Academy. Christ is at the centre of all it does and Gospel values permeate throughout.
- Te leadership of the academy is outstanding as Directors and leaders are totally committed to the Church’s mission of high quality Catholic education for all.
- Saff are authentic witnesses to Gospel values and endeavour to live these out in their work with pupils, especially the most vulnerable. The quality of the pastoral care is outstanding with all pupils and staff expressing the caring community that exists in all aspects of the life of the academy. Pupils care deeply about their school with one Year 11 pupil saying, “I feel lucky to come here.”
- Te prayer and liturgical life of the academy is outstanding. There is a very strong Chaplaincy team whose work permeates the whole of the academy and supports and encourages the work of all staff. Pupils are actively engaged in the prayer life of the academy and take part and lead prayer and liturgy on a regular basis.
- Ppils are attentive and want to achieve. They show confidence in their teachers and enjoy positive relationships with them.
Investors In People ReportOur Investors in People status was renewed in April 2018. The latest report is available on our website and contains the following comments:
“People described a ‘family’ culture where staff work collaboratively for the benefit of the Students and the community.”
“High levels of staff retention; people do not leave St Mary’s Catholic Academy.”
Public Examination ResultsExamination results were pleasing this year. At GCSE our attainment passed 60% grade 4-9 in English and Maths for the first time and our progress 8 score was the highest in the town at -0.12 placing us as broadly average. We managed to close the gap between Pupil Premium and non-Pupil Premium students compared to last year, although there is still much work to do here.